4 tips for a Maternity photoshoot at home
And some great family photography ideas and inspiration in studio
A maternity photoshoot is almost an essential step when it comes to having memories of this special time, and as with most things maternity, you don’t always get to plan when the baby is coming, or how much you will be showing at what stage in your pregnancy. That said, as with most things baby, things do not always go according to plan. if you add some Dutch weather into the mix which is always unpredictable, then planning an outdoor maternity photoshoot can be quite stressful. So it’s always good to consider the alternative of having your maternity photoshoot at home or in a studio.
A maternity photoshoot at home can be just as beautiful and can be more intimate and personal. Having a family maternity photography session is even more special and we are excited to share the below cute family maternity photo ideas from this session. Suhavana and Rishen are expecting their daughter Norah any day, and their son Liam is very excited to meet her. It has been a privilege to photograph this family over the years and watch Liam grow from a tiny newborn to the boy he is today.
- tips for family maternity photography ideas
- why an indoor maternity photoshoot is a good idea
- how to have a maternity photoshoot at home
- more about the maternity photographer in utrecht and link to a partner for maternity dress hire.
Family maternity photoshoot poses
First things first let’s go through some of the cute family maternity photography poses you can try out
5 great family maternity photoshoot poses to include
- Photos with mum and sibling holding the belly. This is a classic family maternity photography pose and an easy one to get as you can ask the sibling to kiss the belly, hug the belly, talk to their unborn sibling, or listen for a heartbeat are all great leads to get these cute maternity photos.
- A photo of the whole family is of course a must – And working with different levels can make the photos more dynamic and interesting. So use a chair or stool, a bench, some people standing some sitting. Then once you have the classic shot, have some fun with it – get the family to look at each other and tell them NOT to smile – sometimes it works and they all pack out laughing – sometimes they pull it off and stay serious – then you can tell them to say the same thing to each other over and over – the ridiculousness of it usually gets at least a smile.
- All hands on the belly – there is always something special about this one – and it makes for a very intimate shot, especially with little siblings’ hands – so get everyone to find a space on the belly and crop it nice and close to keep the focus there.
- Use props like a cute onesie or booties and get a sibling to hold them up and forward while smiling in the background. This is pretty classic but you can of course mix it up and do different things with the props – for instance, mum sitting with daughter and a doll showing her how to put clothes on, or mum lying down and a little boy driving a small toy car over the belly.
- A silhouette of the family showing the belly is also a great and unique option and can create some stunning images for a family maternity photoshoot. You can play around with light flares and backlighting as well here.
Why you should consider a maternity photoshoot at home
A Maternity photoshoot is a very special occasion, and whether you choose to do it indoors or outdoors they will be a beautiful memory. Many will argue that outdoor photos will give you more space and a better background and light, and in many ways, this can be the case, but there are downsides to outdoor as well. So below I have put together some of the reasons to consider an indoor maternity photoshoot at home
Advantages of a maternity photoshoot at home
- A maternity photoshoot at home adds an intimate and personal touch to your photos and can make the photo session special with some of the tips below.
- weather can be unpredictable, and if it is raining on the day of an outdoor shoot you may have to postpone. Which with any other shoot is ok, but with a maternity shoot you generally need to do this towards the end of the pregnancy and then risk not getting any maternity photos as you have to rebook the date. With your maternity photos at home, you do not have to worry about the weather messing with your plans.
- A maternity photoshoot at Home is more comfortable, especially when you are eight and a half months pregnant and possibly struggling to get up and down. Although outdoor locations might look stunning, getting to some of these locations can be a little tricky over uneven ground, mud, hills, and long grass. It’s not bad, it’s just much tougher to do when you are very pregnant so it is important to take it into account.
- You dont have to worry about getting that hired maternity dress dirty or full of mud as you will be indoors
How to make your maternity photoshoot at home
So the other side of this article is what to do for a maternity photoshoot at home, whether or not you have planned to have an outdoor photoshoot and this is plan B, or you prefer the intimate and personal touch of a maternity photoshoot at home, these great tips will put you on the trail to get the absolute best results from your maternity photos.
4 tips for maternity photoshoot at home
- consider the lighting of your indoor space. Whether you are doing all natural light or using some artificial studio lighting it helps to keep your backgrounds lighter to create the illusion of space and keep the photos light and airy. If you are using only natural lighting then consider the time of day that gives the home the best light.
- If you do not have a very light and airy home, then consider using a mobile studio backdrop, or making a homemade one with light-coloured sheets etc.
- Incorporate personal things from your home like furniture, special photos or a cuddly toy you have brought for the baby can all make the photos more intimate.
- Take some photos in the baby room, perhaps in the rocking chair where you will feed, or just surrounded by all the preparation can give you a great before and after option if you decide to do a newborn photoshoot as well.
- BONUS TIP – think of hiring a maternity dress for the occasion – this can really add a more dynamic look to your maternity photos and create drama and movement.
Renphotos is a maternity photographer in utrecht, the Netherlands
I am a maternity photographer in Utrecht, the Netherlands, and I have over ten years of experience in the field. From the many maternity photoshoots I have done I have found these tips and ideas to work the best which is why I decided to write them down to help other photographers and families expecting.
I hope these family maternity photography ideas will help you get some inspiration for your maternity photos.
So as you can see there are some great family maternity photography ideas you can try both indoors and outdoors, and if you are planning an outdoor photoshoot for your maternity that is great! We are by no means saying don’t do it, just prepare yourself enough time in case you have to change your plans. And don’t rule out indoor photos as an alternative.
If you prefer the indoor photo look then the tips for indoor photos are just for you to make sure you get that beautiful intimate effect perfectly captured. Whatever you decide your maternity photos are a beautiful memory to have, no matter where they are made, so don’t get too wrapped up in the where and focus on who it’s with and the actual moment.
If you want more maternity photoshoot tips and you don’t have the bucks to spend on an expensive dress or location then check out this article on budget maternity photography ideas. And if you are looking for a maternity dress to hire for your maternity photoshoot then definitely have a look at Mom to Be Moments