10 super Tips for Winter Wedding photography in Utrecht
A winter wedding photoshoot in Hoorneboegse Heide, Hilversum, Utrecht
Winter wedding photography in Utrecht may seem a little crazy to some – the weather is unpredictable and it can be very cold – so not many people choose to do a photoshoot at this time of year. But this brave couple did and the results are phenomenal! So we decided to share some of the reasons that made this winter wedding photography in Utrecht a success, and some tips on how you can prepare for an outdoor winter photo shoot in the Netherlands.
This Winter wedding photography example is with Romy and Adriaan who are a South African couple that moved to the Netherlands about a year ago. They stayed in Hilversum, Utrecht, and decided to tie the knot in 2023. They were not convinced they should have wedding photos, but luckily for me, Romy has a very convincing sister who helped her choose me as their wedding photographer. Here are some of the photos from this beautiful winter wedding photography in Utrecht.
- More about the venue for this winter wedding photography in utrecht
- Why choose to have an outdoor photoshoot in winter in the netherlands
- how to prepare for winter wedding photography in utrecht,the netherlands
Winter wedding photography in utrecht at Hoorneboegse Heide in Hilversum
First let’s talk about this stunning location. This is a beautiful national park and is very diverse and open to the public. The advantage of this is that it is free to use.
But you do need to be aware that other people are using the park and you need to respect their space and sometimes be patient as they move past you etc. You also can’t be too shy to have photos in front of other people of course.
That said it is VERY big so there is plenty of space and many spots to choose from. Here are some of the things we loved about this venue for winter wedding photography in Utrecht.
- The forests have many walking trails through them and tall trees, so even in the middle of the day for a winter wedding in Utrecht, this was ok. They do not have the shade from the leaves but the branches do still have some cover from any harsh sunlight.
- The Heide is a big open landscape, and although it is brown in winter, it still creates a very dramatic backdrop and adds some diversity to your Utrecht wedding photography session
- In winter look out for the shrubs of holly – these are awesome to add a bit of greenery and authenticity of a real European winter wedding and add a Christmassy feel.
- Overall the colors are warm yellows and browns and earthy tones and these work well in creating a warm natural glow – and go with almost any colour – so use that to your advantage.
Overall the Hoorneboegse Heide is a really beautiful place to take photos, at any time of year this will give amazing results, but in winter on a nice sunny day, there is something very special about this space.
Why choose to have winter wedding photography in utrecht
You may be asking yourself why have photos in winter rather than summer, so we decided to jot down some of the advantages of outdoor winter wedding photography in Utrecht
Advantages of outdoor winter wedding photography in Utrecht
- The landscapes are much quieter – particularly if you can only go on the weekend, it is less likely to be very busy because of the cold. That said you can still expect there to be people, but maybe not as many, so if you do not like big crowds this can be a bonus
- In winter it gets lighter later and darker earlier and the sun is lower in the sky – This means that you can plan to have the shoot much later in the day if necessary, which is usually more convenient for most people – and still have amazing light to work with. There is something about winter light that is truly magical.
- There is more space through the trees to allow light in so you can have photos in some places where the light might just be too dark and flat usually in summer
- Winter has its charm, and if dressing up in coats and beanies appeals to you then there is no better time to do it. Who knows you might even be lucky enough to get some snow!
- A bonus tip for the ladies – many of us are not comfortable with our body shapes and although I think this should be celebrated – there is a lot to be said for a nice big winter coat and boots that can make you feel a lot more comfortable in front of the camera. And feeling comfortable in front of the camera is a secret to a successful photoshoot.
How to prepare for winter wedding photography in utrecht
All of that said, preparing for winter wedding photography in Utrecht or the Netherlands can be challenging, so here are some tips to help you along the way!
- Dress for the occasion – It is winter and this should be embraced in your winter photoshoot – think beanies and scarves and coats and anything warm and toasty. Firstly to fight off the cold so you aren’t shivering your whole way through – but also to celebrate the fact that it is winter, and visible layers also add interest to the photoshoot.
- Dress in layers so that you can remove some if necessary and maybe get at least one or two pictures without all the coats etc, then quickly put them back on if you are brave enough. Also having hidden layers like thermals will keep you much warmer as the photo session is normally at least an hour long – it’s a while in the cold!
- Use sensible shoes, preferably waterproof, as it can get muddy, slippery, and wet, and you will be in them for a while. Your toes can also get pretty cold out there! Winter snow boots are a great option and will add to the look and feel of a wintery background.
- The weather, especially here in the Netherlands, can be ever-changing – so be prepared that the day may be overcast instead of sunny, or it may even rain. A backup umbrella is a great option or some waterproof clothing you can chuck over in the event of a quick shower as it often happens here. If the weather is very miserable and drizzly I can postpone, but generally, the photoshoot will go ahead as most showers are over pretty quickly, or the rain is very minimal so it is still possible to shoot.
- Bring along a blanket or something to sit on – a tartan blanket is a great winter prop to wrap around shoulders or sit on.
About this wedding photographer in Utrecht
Hi, I am Romaen, owner and photographer at Renphotos. I come from South Africa and I moved to the Netherlands in 2022. I am slowly starting up as an Utrecht wedding photographer and lifestyle photographer, but I have many years of experience as a photographer behind me in South Africa. Experiencing winter here in the Netherlands is a new concept, but this photoshoot has given me some insight into what to expect from winter wedding photography in Utrecht so I thought I would share some of the tips from this experience. I hope you enjoy them.
So those are our tips for winter wedding photography in Utrecht! In conclusion, it’s about embracing winter and loving what it has to offer instead of shunning it. It is a beautiful time of year and if you are brave enough to go out in the cold it can have some fantastic results, as long as you prepare for it properly. So I hope you will consider these tips and come and join us for a stunning winter photoshoot in Utrecht. Also check out some of the other locations in utrecht for photoshoots that we have been to – there are some great ones!