What is Boudoir photography? A closer look from camera to client
The empowering Beauty of Boudoir photography
So what is boudoir photography exactly? If you don’t know anything about this genre, it can sound really fancy and mysterious, but in reality, boudoir is just a word for bedroom.
Boudoir photography definition, therefore, translates to “bedroom photography”. It is usually a sexy, sensual photoshoot often done in lingerie or nude, but it is done tastefully and uses the power of suggestion. If done right, it can accentuate curves and tones and use flattering lighting to make women look and feel completely beautiful!
Whether it’s a gift for a husband or boyfriend, or it’s something you want to tick off your bucket list and empower yourself with, Boudoir photography is ever-growing in popularity. This style of photography has a vast range with several niches and themes and has grown in popularity over the last few years.
And more importantly, it has become a way for women to empower themselves while giving them confidence and happiness in their own bodies. It helps them see themselves in a different light and see the natural beauty hidden in their depths. Something that many women struggle with these days.
This article will go through some of the most popular types of boudoir photography, some secrets to a successful Boudoir photoshoot, what to expect, and some tips and advice before making a booking. But first, here are some maternity boudoir photography examples from Marlene’s maternity boudoir photoshoot.
1. What is Boudoir photography?
2. How to prepare for a boudoir photography session?
3. Different types of boudoir photography!
4. What to expect from a boudoir photography session with Renphotos.
5. Last notes & off you go!
What is Boudoir Photography, and What You Need to Know Before Booking Your Photo Session!
Boudoir photography is a very personal and intimate type of photoshoot, so it is crucial to make sure that you are comfortable and ready to do the photo shoot before going ahead with your booking.
Below are some things we think you should consider before making a booking and ensuring you get the most from your boudoir photography session!
1. Make sure you are comfortable with your photographer – this is really important as you will be in front of them and the camera – check if they are male or female as you will need to be comfortable with them as they take your photos.
2. See if you can set up a meeting before your shoot to discuss what you want from the photos. Even browse some ideas you may like to discuss, but try to be realistic. Keep in mind that each photographer has their own style, work method and vision.
Their experience will guide them in what poses to use for your body type to give you a fantastic shoot. Remember, trust is the key here, and the more you trust in the photographer’s skill, the more magnificent the end result!
3. That said, you should choose a photographer that knows what boudoir photography is, and preferably one that specialises in it like Kay-E photography.
4. Know why you are doing this type of photoshoot – it should be because you want to do it and not because you are trying to please someone else.
If it is for a partner, then it should be a choice you make yourself doing the photos for them. Otherwise, you are not going to enjoy the session. And it will show that you are uncomfortable with the final result!
5. Wear lingerie you are comfortable in – don’t try and fit into something too small and that you constantly have to pull out. Instead, choose lingerie that makes you feel sexy – if you are not comfortable showing your stomach, for instance, choose something that will cover it and floats!
Try on clothes before you come to the shoot and get a feel for what you like. Doing this will make a big difference in the final look of the photos. If you feel fabulous, then chances are the images will look as impressive and confident as you feel.
6. Boudoir photography in Gauteng can be pretty expensive. Before opting to book with a cheaper boudoir photographer, make sure you have a good look at their portfolio and style, as well as where the photos will be taken.
If you are happy with all of these things, by all means, do go ahead. Still, you need to make sure before you go! Consider what is included – hair, makeup, and location are all essential things you need to consider for this type of shoot as they will also help you feel gorgeous and glamorous in front of you the camera.
7. Here are a few things you can check to see if they are included in your boudoir photography package.
- Are your hair and makeup done on-site?
- Are there props or sets you can use during the photoshoot, or is it just a plain background?
Renphotos can recommend some great makeup artists to get you looking and feeling beautiful, and there is an excellent photography location to use that has been set up expressly for boudoir photography – For more information on this, you can contact the Photo Factory ≫ in Boksburg!
3 Popular Types of Boudoir Photography
Boudoir photography has a wide range, and below are some of the most popular reasons and types of boudoir photography sessions.
1. Classic Boudoir: What is Classical Boudoir photography? Here you can choose to have a boudoir session just for yourself – at any stage – whether this is a bucket list item you want to do.
Or you have a milestone birthday you want to celebrate, or you want to just look and feel beautiful and confident. It has become popular as it is a way for women to look and feel empowered in their own image and be confident and comfortable in their own skin.
Boudoir photography has a way of making women see how beautiful they really are.
2. Wedding Boudoir: What is Wedding Boudoir photography? This is a great gift for hubby before the big day! Just imagine having a boudoir session with wedding items such as your veil, garter and shoes!
You can do this before the big day and present him with the gift on your wedding day. Alternatively, you can choose to do a mini boudoir photography session during the getting ready stage of your wedding photography session and surprise him with the photos later.
3. Maternity Boudoir: What is Maternity Boudoir photography? Another prevalent form of boudoir photography is to have a maternity shoot that really shows off the belly.
You can do this with sexy lingerie or flowing lacy skirts that frame your baby bump, these are gorgeous images to celebrate this time in your life.
It’s also great for mums to see how good they really look as your body changes so much over this time and, it can be difficult to still feel good in your own skin.
At Renphotos, this is definitely one of the most popular types of photoshoots we do and with good reason – so be sure to book your Boudoir Photography Gauteng session with us soon!
What to expect from a boudoir photography Gauteng session with renphotos
At Renphotos, we do many different types of photography and boudoir photography is no exception. We have done it all! Yes, that’s right, all three of the above types of photo sessions as mentioned.
Below is the process followed at Renphotos to make sure you are getting the most from your boudoir photography session!
1. When you first contact us to ask about what a boudoir photography session is and how to go about doing one. We ask if you want it done in the studio or on location. Details are important…
2. We will ask you to send us some examples of what you like – note we do not copy images exactly, you know, Copywrite, photographer honesty and all that.
So, please don’t ask to have exact replicas of shots – but this will give us an idea of the style you are going for, and we can work with that.
3. We will ask if you have seen our previous work to make sure you are happy with the kind of style we offer!
4. And you guessed it! We then quote according to what you are looking for and once the deposit is paid. Bob’s your uncle, and we will help you get your sexy on!
5. Renphotos will even arrange a booking for you for on-location venue shoots! Or, if you prefer to have the photos in the privacy of your home, send through pictures of the space so we can be sure it will be suitable.
Often, home bedrooms are a tad bit small or cluttered. Bear this in mind – meaning that it might be better to book a hotel room, use a location like the Photo Factory above, or just use a plain studio background with some prop pazazz!
6. Renphotos is full of tips and tricks, and we send them on to you to help you prepare. This includes contacts such as makeup artists and hairstylists. Or even help you to find a place you can get the best lingerie!
7. You are all set! But of course, if you have any other questions or want to come in a bit earlier before your photo session to get accustomed to the space or have a chat with me as your photographer, you are more than welcome to do so.
The photoshoot will typically be one to two hours, depending on how many outfits you have waiting for us and what you want to be done.
Here at Renphotos, we believe that Boudoir, photography is an empowering and uplifting experience for women to celebrate their bodies and become confident and comfortable with themselves.
It is not about objectifying women in any way. On the contrary, it is a very personal and intimate type of photography and one that every woman should get to experience at least once in their lives.
So we hope to hear from you soon, and we look forward to helping you look and feel like the absolutely most stunning and gorgeous woman you are! Unfortunately, we don’t have a separate category for boudoir photography on our website as many of our clients prefer these photos to be private.
But if you would like to see more of our work, please don’t hesitate to get in touch, and we will gladly give you some examples!