12 Simple Ideas for Newborn baby photos
How to get amazing newborn baby photos with simple setups.
Newborn baby photos are some of the most adorable photos you will ever see, and you can see some really elaborate newborn setups all over the internet. But the truth is that getting these types of photos often takes many hours of patience, setup and cost and often the photos themselves are composites – they are made up of more than one photo.
This is of course absolutely fine if this is your thing, but we are here to talk about a way to get simple newborn baby photos that are just as adorable and do not require such elaborate setups or backdrops and therefore can be done at a much lower cost both in time and money. And the results are still fantastic! Just check out the photos below of Baby Oliver at two weeks old with his family.
10 simple yet adorable newborn photo ideas
Creating simple yet beautiful newborn photos doesn’t require elaborate setups or props. Here are some basic ideas for capturing memorable newborn photos:
Simple Newborn baby photos ideas
- Newborn with Parents: This may seem obvious, but is actually often overlooked. And also with a baby that is very fussy and does not like to be wrapped, this may be your only option to get newborn baby photos where baby is calm and happy.
- Close-Up Shots: These simple shots can be some of the most adorable shots you ever get of a newborn. They are really important as newborn baby photos because those little hands and feet will never be that teeny tiny again so be sure you capture every little finger and toe.
- Natural Light: Using natural light in newborn baby photos is both flattering to the baby and parents normally and it doesnt disturb them as much as flash or studio lights can. Using a window with light curtains to diffuse the natural light, or light-coloured bedding and furniture will give your photos more space and bring the focus in to the little one so be sure to use it well.
- Neutral Backgrounds: This is also a good one to remember as it also helps to keep the focus on the baby. Heavily patterened furniture or bedding can distract from your subject so keeping things light and monochrome will really make your photos much stronger.
- Sleeping Baby: This is actually harder than it seems, but with a little patience a newborn baby is bound to fall asleep at some point during your photoshoot and this is your chance to get some really cute pics all wrapped up and cozy. There is nothing more peaceful than sleeping newborn baby photos.
- Siblings and Newborn: If the baby has siblings then dont miss the opportunity to capture the relationship between them . Older siblings are normally really excited about their new brother or sister and have a new sense of responsibility so capturing this on camera is priceless.
- Wrapped in a Swaddle: A simple swaddle goes a long way in making cozy newborn baby photos and there are many creative ways to swaddle to make different shots – completely wrapped up, arms out, feet out etc.
- Hats and Headbands: Hats and headbands can give an extra level of cuteness to any newborn baby photos and is a simple accessory to dress up a pose you have already . The less a newborn baby has to be moved in between poses the better so this is a great way to minimise this.
- Eye Contact: Especially if the newborn refuses to sleep then focus rather on capturing those beautiful eyes as they stare into the camera – a newborn baby stare is quite intense as they soak everything in.
- In Dad’s Hands: Another great way to show the tiny size of a newborn baby is to contrast them with dads hands or arms . So a simple photo of dad cradling baby in his arms can really be effective.
- Using Props: Simple inexpensive props such as a stuffed toy or book that the baby already has can create stunning visuals.
- In a Onesie or Simple Outfit: Cute newborn baby outfits do not fit them for very long so take the opportunity to get photos of them in mum and dads favourite ones.
In conclusion newborn baby photos do not have to be super elaborate to be amazingly cute and adorable. With some basic accessories, you can really get some amazing newborn photos. Just remember to prioritize the safety and comfort of the baby throughout the photoshoot. Be patient, as newborns may need breaks for feeding, changing, or soothing. The average newborn photoshoot will take 2 to 3 hours at least. The most important thing is to capture the genuine moments and precious memories of your newborn’s early days. So worry less about getting everything absolutely perfect and focus more on the moments. this is where the magic really happens.
Interested in a newborn photoshoot? Then check out our other newborn photoshoots and get in touch to arrange yours. Just remember a newborn photoshoot should be done within two weeks of baby being born!
If you are looking for more newborn baby photos and ideas for inspiration be sure to check out these newborn-photoshoot-ideas-at-home